Potato crusted pizza
- 400g (14oz) large British maincrop potatoes, peeled
- 175g (6oz) self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp mixed dried herbs
- 150ml (5fl oz) milk
- 150g (5oz) broccoli florets
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 75g (3oz) wafer thin ham
- 50g (2oz) smoked flavour cheese, grated
- Cut the potatoes into even-sized pieces and boil for 15 minutes in lightly salted water until tender. Drain well and allow to cool, then mash.
- Meanwhile, cook the broccoli florets in a small pan of water for 3 minutes, drain and set aside.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl, add the potato and herbs, and stir to combine. Add the milk, and mix to form a soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly to form into a smooth ball.
- Place on a greased baking sheet. Press out evenly to a 23cm/9” round. Put into the oven 225c/425f/Gas 7 to bake for 10 minutes. Remove the pizza base and lower the temperature of the oven to 200c/400f/Gas 6.
- Spread the tomato puree over the surface; arrange the tomatoes on top, then scatter over the broccoli and ham. Finally, add the cheese, then bake in the oven for a further 8–10 minutes until the cheese has melted and the edge of the base is crisp.